Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 2: Bangkok, Thailand

Phew!  I slept so much last night!  Wow, it's nice to NOT WORK.  After waking up around 1am to beautiful 30C (maybe 85F) weather, I had a mocha, rice, and eggs.  I met some super sweet Russian and German girls who I hung out w/all day.

Can I tell you that I can't remember the names of the places we went, because they're super long and in Thai?  We started out going to some beautiful temples in the city.  They're huge, ornate, and colorful, and there are golden Buddhas all over.

We ate some food and checked out some other interesting statues and temples and then went to China Town!  Hah, it was super-shady looking, but Thailand is apparently hella safe.  I mean, everyone tries to sell you things at super-inflated prices (like 4 times what they sell it to Thai people), but you never feel worried or like people are even trying to pick-pocket you.  Some lady tried selling us a small bag of cherries (maybe 20 cherries?) for about 25USD.  HAHAHA.  Yeah, right.  We tried buying some weird meatball things in soy sauce from a food cart.  She told us 2.50USD.  But it said on the cart's front .40USD.  So she was like... "Oh, okay."

I accidentally walked through some setting cement, and we took a boat trip down the river to watch the sunset over another beautiful temple.  You need to wear sleeves and pants to all of the holy and royal sites, even though it really is beater, shorts, and sandals weather.

We took another boat ride, got massages for an hour for 10USD (nice-eu!), ate some more yummy food, smoked some hookah, drank some beer, and called it a night.

I'm looking at a buncha cute, yellow geckos on the wall in front of me, and I saw a big toad today!  Good omens, right!  The Thai people are super friendly and funny, and there are monks everywhere!  My hostel isn't bad either.  The Thai language has 5 different tones, so... pretty difficult.  A plan is slowly coming together... in my head... as to what to do next.  Pictures to accompany the posts coming later!  Let me know who wants a postcard!

No comments:

Post a Comment